New figure object [was "Re: table and figure captions"]

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Wed Jun 11 20:56:09 PDT 2008

Deirdre Reagan wrote:
> Does anyone know why FM automatically makes Table captions but not
> Figure captions?

You have had your answer elsewhere on this list.  But, seriously, why
isn't there a figure object that is similar to a one-celled table, which
is a pain to set up.

The new figure object would have:

@    an anchor for the entire object,
@    similar placement options to a table (top of page, bottom of page,
etc.)
@    be able to *float onto another page without dragging its anchor
para after it* (fix tables too)
@    contain an anchored frame, title, multi-para caption, and figure
footnotes (like a table)
@    a  Figure Designer dialogue where you could set various options (no
title, title placement, borders and fill rulings and colours, etc.)
@    the ability to output to MIF in a previous format where the figure
components would be separated into separate objects (title para,
anchored frame, caption para(s), or into a new MIF format where it was
just a single object

While we are at it, for both figure and table you should be able to
specify the placement of the title and caption/footnotes relative to the
body: above, below, left side, right side, alternating left and right
sides depending on pagination, etc.

I have been proposing this to Frame Technologies and Adobe since c.
1798.  We live in hope.  Please feel free to forward this to your
favourite Adobe contact/forum/blog if you think, this is a good idea

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>