disagreement on overrides

Susan Modlin smodlin at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 16:41:22 PDT 2008

I think the key to the question is why the other writer is using overrides. We all know it's pretty much an article of faith that thou shalt not use overrides for anything other than controlling page breaks, as Peter notes.

So why is the other writer overriding? I can think of three reasons for the malefactor's behavior:

	1. Ignorance. The writer hasn't seen the ramifications of overrides run amok during an upgrade or comes from the world of word where this is normal behavior.

	2. Something's missing from the template. As a long-time template designer, I know how impossible it is to get everything exactly right the first time. Perhaps this writer is creating a different type of information that doesn't lend itself to the existing formats.
	3. Sheer perversity. In which case, all the advise about persuasion and big sticks comes in handy....Susan