disagreement on overrides

Jon Harvey JHarvey at cambridgesoft.com
Fri Jun 13 08:34:49 PDT 2008

My team uses a relatively new set of templates that we developed
ourselves. Since we are applying theses templates to a fairly complex
set of documents, we sometimes need to update the templates for
situations that may arise. This means that we may have to modify
existing tags, master pages, (etc.) and reapply them to our documents.
As a result, the writers on my team very rarely need to use overrides to
do what they want in their documents. If a writer needs to format
something that the template can't handle, we talk about it, and make a
decision whether to change the template. If we do change the template,
we inform the whole team on how to use the new styles.

Jon Harvey
Manager, Desktop Documentation
CambridgeSoft Corporation
100 CambridgePark Drive