Adobe Garamond font in bold doesn't distill properly

Linda G. Gallagher lindag at techcomplus.com
Tue Jun 17 11:13:03 PDT 2008

Framers,

FM 8
Acro 8
Win XP

I created a new template recently and selected Adobe Garamond for my body
text. I created a bold character tag and set it to As Is, then selected Bold
for the weight. When I created a PDF, all of the bold text was all weird
(oddly spaced in a supposed monospaced font).

After looking into that, I found that the only Weight option for the Adobe
Garamond font was actually Semibold, so I changed the character tag to
Semibold, but I'm seeing the same results when I create a PDF. All looks
fine on-screen and when printing a laser printer from FM, so it must be
something related to Acrobat.

In looking at my Distiller options, I don't see any of the Adobe fonts
listed in the Embedding field on the Fonts screen. I think these fonts came
with FM 8 (I see several Adobe fonts in FM 8), because I don't think I had
them before I installed FM 8.

I can't seem to find where these Adobe fonts are installed, and I'm not sure
how to resolve this PDF issue. Of course, I can change to a different
Garamond (I do have another), but I'd like to understand the problem and
solution better, in case I really want to use these Adobe fonts in the
future.

Thanks in advance!

Linda G. Gallagher
TechCom Plus, LLC
lindag at techcomplus dot com
www.techcomplus.com
303-450-9076 or 800-500-3144
User guides, online help, FrameMaker and
WebWorks ePublisher templates