Paragraph Style in Header

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 04:43:42 PDT 2008

Hi Mathieu:

You could define the Heading1 autonumber as:
<$chapnum>\t—\t
(using ALT+0151 for the —)

This would read the chapter number setting from the file, so it wouldn't increment when you use it multiple times in the same file. You could also do some series numbering settings, but I find this to be the simplest approach.

However, from a readability perspective, it might confuse the reader, because conventionally the chapter number is presented with the chapter title, and this format would look like several different chapter titles assigned to the same chapter number. Collapsed heading levels go against certain well-established conventions (and with good reason).  One way around this is the technical-style numbered headings (1.1, 1.2, etc.) that provide at-a-glance chapter reference within the various heading levels. Another way to handle it is to display chapter info in the master page header as a point of reference. There are a lot of ways to address the same concern, really...as is usually the case in life!

So, when you implement the layout the way you want it, regardless of your final solution, I would encourage you to present a sample document to a wide sampling of representatives of your target audience and ask some well-formed and open-ended questions about how they interpret/understand the headings and information hierarchy in the document. Regardless of the tack you take, usability feedback on templates is always helpful. :-)

Cheers!
Rene L. Stephenson