Arial being changed to ArialMT in PDF

Lane, Laura K laura.k.lane at boeing.com
Wed Jun 18 05:43:28 PDT 2008

I'm using FrameMaker 7.2, Acrobat Pro 7.0.9, and XP.  I've been printing
PDF books and individual files from FrameMaker using the Arial font but
when I check the font in the PDF it has been changed to ArialMT.  I have
the font locations in the settings for the Distiller program as the
following:

C:\Program File\adobe\distillr\Data\fonts\
C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.2\fminit\fonts\
C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.2\fminit\
C:\Windows\fonts\

Arial is in all of these locations but distiller doesn't seem to
recognize Arial as the font to be used.  When I go into the settings for
Distiller it doesn't list Arial as a one of the fonts to select. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat and it still won't recognize Arial.

In my FrameMaker .ini file I have the default as Arial and it doesn't
mention ArialMT anywhere in the file.  My EDD for this book tells FM to
use Arial and there's only Arial in the FM files without any user
overrides.  Again no mention of ArialMT.

Any suggestions on how I can get Distiller to use Arial and not ArialMT?
I'm completely stumped here.

Thanks in advance,
Laura