Win XP support (was RE: How FM use impacts purchasing decisions)

Thu Jun 19 09:03:53 PDT 2008

Peter Gold wrote:

> Windows XP official support is supposed to end soon.
>
> Windows XP won't be shipped with Intel Macs after the end of June, I
> believe. I think the same applies to PCs.
>
> So, Vista is not just a preference, it's a deadline.
>
> There's no compelling reason to avoid an XP-based machine. By this
> time in its life, there are few bus remaining to be fixed. A good
> virus-protection application should protect your system, so the
> discontinuing of MS Security updates shouldn't have an effect on
> working.

Correction: _Sales_ of XP are ending, not _support_. The Extended
Support phase of the Win XP lifecycle is currently scheduled to continue
until April 2014 (see http://tinyurl.com/56ma9o).

Extendend Support includes paid support, security update support, KB and
Support site support, and availability of extended hotfix agreements. So
your XP installation will get security updates for another six years
(and that could be extended further as the deadline approaches; IIRC,
they extended security support for Win 98).

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.