How FM use impacts purchasing decisions

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 06:37:31 PDT 2008

I know what you mean. My largest client's IT UBER-POLICY  steers way too many decisions in my home computing due to our client relationship. If I had *time* to do it, I'd go pick up all the networking and Cisco certs I could get my hands on, just so that I could get this stuff jiving the way I need it to work. They're rolling out Office 2007 on site, and most of the workers initially gripe about the interface but then find that it's more like hopping into a tub of hot water: if you sit there long enough, it doesn't *feel* hot anymore.

When I was helping my manager at that site configure his user interface, I saw a setting to use the "classic" office menus rather than the 2007 "ribbon" menus, and using that setting plus changing his default file type for save operations has helped him a lot. Me? Oh, I bought Office 2007 when I could get it from a friend as an OEM offering, loving the discount. Of course, now I find out that OEM means you can't ever upgrade that copy, so I'm starting to feel like I got taken, but hey, it's buyer beware, I guess.

It's hard to  figure out what's really going to work for me from a cost and productivity standpoint with so many variables and dependencies in play, knowing that the wrong decision would be a permanent pain in the kiester.

Rene L. Stephenson