FrameMaker Internal Error -- Visio and "...lost image data"

Brian Weis bweis.wordsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 07:35:35 PDT 2008

Hi folks:

Yesterday, I encountered this error in FM:  "An internal error occurred
while writing imported graphics in this document. The file has been saved,
but has lost some image data. Please report this error to Adobe Technical
Support."

I close the error dialog, and then try to close the file ... but I am
prompted once again to save it before closing. I am now in a loop until I
break the cycle by clicking "No" in the save prompt. Contrary to the error
message's statement that the file has been saved, I find that none of my
changes, text or otherwise, are in the file. With a little more work, I am
able to determine that a Visio object must be the culprit.

How do I know this?

In the directory where my source Frame doc is located, I see a set of
"garbage" files -- that is, files that my system does not recognize by
filename extension. I recognize them as copies of my source doc ... but with
different extensions (e.g., .BE7, .75F). These files have date/time stamps
right around the time I was trying to save my changes. Right clicking on one
of these files, and specifying FrameMaker to open it, I find a version of my
document with the most recent set of changes ... but the Visio object is now
grayed out in its inline frame.

Just to be clear, I am using "Visio object" to refer to an graphic that I
have inserted by copying the elements from the original Visio drawing and
then pasting them into an inline frame in FrameMaker. I did not use the
"Import File" option.

I did some more testing with a copy of my now-recovered source document.
While playing with different ways to insert/paste the Visio work, and
accessing Visio work in other documents by right-clicking them and selecting
"Visio Object" from the pop-up menu, Framemaker eventually "detected a
serious problem" and had to quit. This error dialog called out a FrameLog
file (an error log) and instructed me to send the file and a description of
what I did to fmerror at adobe.com.

I have been using the paste method with Visio objects successfully for
almost two years. I realize it is not recommended, but I have never had an
issue until now. And it looks like my previous documents that have one or
more Visio objects inserted in this fashion will suffer the same problem. At
least, all such files I have tested exhibit the same problem -- even just
opening a file that has a Visio object will subject it to this problem.

I sent all the info and the error messages (a longer summary than I've
posted here) to Adobe around 6pm last night. I have not heard from them, and
I probably should not expect to. I have searched Adobe Support for info on
Visio, "Internal Error 7204", and other things, but have not found anything
helpful. So I come to you in the Frame using community. Has anyone here
copy/paste Visio into Frame? Have you ever come across this problem? Do you
know a solution?

Thanks in advance.

--
Brian Weis