ANN: Heavy duty indexing

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Fri Jun 20 14:04:23 PDT 2008

Hello Framers,

I just finished a big index project for a client. The index has 50 sections
in a single FrameMaker document. Like a regular generated document, each
entry is hyperlinked back to its source.

The text that needs to be indexed is formatted with a particular character
tag. As the script encounters each text range, its target index section is
identified by a regular expression. The required data, including sort
information, for each entry is loaded into a database. Then the script does
a series of queries on the database to build the final index.

Previously this huge index was done by hand because there was no feasible
way to do it with multiple marker types and generated documents. I mention
this here for those that may have labor-intensive tasks that don't have an
easy FrameMaker solution. With FrameScript, many of these "impossible tasks"
can be fully automated. If you need more information, please contact me
offlist.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267