Dialog box annoyance

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Mar 7 08:05:24 PST 2008

Whites wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Using FM 7.1/7,2 on Win XP sp2.
>
> I'm able to resize any dialog box in FM to any arbitrary size - even
> much larger or smaller than the active region within the dialog. (I'm
> not being very descriptive here.) Say the active region (entry
> fields, lists, etc) is 2 x 3. I can extend the dialog to some absurd
> size, say 7 x 9, leaving large ugly blank areas to the right and
> bottom of the active area.
> My recollection was that this did not happen back on FM5.5 on the
> Mac, but seems to be current standard misbehavior on the PC. This
> happens on  two different PCs, one running 7.1 the other 7.2/
> Just an aesthetic thing, but annoying.
> Can this be fixed in some configuration file?

Hi Will,

I can't speak for the situation on the Mac past or present, but what you
need to do on a PC is download ResourceHacker and make permanent changes
to FM's dialog boxes by modifying fmdlg.dll in the fminit folder.

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

(You will, of course, remember to back up fmdlg.dll first, won't you...)

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

I'll stop saying Microsoft is arrogant when
Windows stops saying "Welcome" and instead asks "May I?"