Dialog box annoyance

Fri Mar 7 08:41:06 PST 2008

Whites wrote:

> Using FM 7.1/7,2 on Win XP sp2.
>
> I'm able to resize any dialog box in FM to any arbitrary size
> - even much larger or smaller than the active region within
> the dialog. (I'm not being very descriptive here.) Say the
> active region (entry fields, lists, etc) is 2 x 3. I can
> extend the dialog to some absurd size, say 7 x 9, leaving
> large ugly blank areas to the right and bottom of the active area.

Interesting. I just checked an FM7.0 installation, and I'm seeing the
same thing. It's a not-very-helpful feature/enhancement, since the
annoyingly small text boxes in, for instance, the Marker dialog don't
become any larger when you resize the dialog.

I've never used it, but I understood that the ResourceHacker application
which Stuart recommended made _useful_ dialog box changes possible --
larger text boxes, bigger fonts. The changes FM7.x enables are
pointless.

> My recollection was that this did not happen back on FM5.5 on
> the Mac, but seems to be current standard misbehavior on the
> PC. This happens on  two different PCs, one running 7.1 the
> other 7.2/ Just an aesthetic thing, but annoying.
> Can this be fixed in some configuration file?

It doesn't happen in FM6 on WinXP either (my current working
environment).

But why is it annoying you? Dialogs don't resize spontaneously -- you
have to hover the mouse pointer over an edge or corner until the resize
arrows appear and then drag the edge or corner. So don't do that!
Problem solved. :-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs