Possible MIF -> FM bug in FM 8.02 (p273)

Broberg, Mats mabr at flir.se
Fri Mar 7 07:24:48 PST 2008

Rick and others,

Sure, here goes.

There seems to be a possible bug when opening translated MIF files in FM8.02 (p273, possibly older patches too). In 21 translations we found missing glyphs in all but 4 translations, ranging from 40 to 2 missing glyphs in each file.

Several translation agencies that we cooperate with confirm the same behavior. All are using different tools and workflows, so we do not think that it is user-related. You can replicate the behavior by following the procedure below (quoting the exact bug report to Adobe).

Someone associated with Adobe (don't quite know the gentleman's position) replicated the behavior and (sort of) confirmed it.

NOTE: Beware that characters below may be converted depending on how messages on this list is formatted.

******BUG******
Concise problem statement:
Opening edited (translated) MIF files in FrameMaker 8 causes some of the extended characters disappear. Text containing extended characters for different languages are missing characters in FrameMaker, although all characters are present in the MIF file. The missing characters follow no particular pattern, most of the time all characters are there. (If you need more example texts in other languages to try this on, please contact me.)

Steps to reproduce bug:
 1. Create a new FM file and enter "some text".
 2. Save the file as MIF (version 8).
 3. Open the saved MIF file in any text editor.
 4. Replace <String `Some text'> with <String `Ce produit est protégé par des brevets, des brevets de conception, des brevets en instance ou des brevets de conception en instance. Veuillez consulter la liste complète dans le manuel de référence sur CD-ROM.'>
 5. Save the edited MIF file.
 6. Open the MIF file in FrameMaker
 Results: The word référence is missing one é, the text says réfrence. All other characters are there.
 Expected results: All characters entered in the MIF file should appear correctly when the MIF file is opened in FrameMaker.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg