cross references in topics used as text insets

Arnett, Keith Keith.Arnett at softwareag.com
Thu Mar 13 08:48:39 PDT 2008

Hi Doug,

I can't speak to structured FrameMaker, but I have been using text
insets in unstructured FM for many years. Effective use of
cross-references isn't rocket science, but it does take a reasonable
amount of planning, care, and consistency of use.

Essentially, there are only two kinds of cross-references in a text
inset: 1) those that point to a location in the same text inset, and 2)
those that point to a location outside the text reference.

Setting up #1 type x-refs is straightforward and follows the standard
procedure. When setting up #2, the key point to remember is that you
must *always* configure the x-ref to point to a cross-reference marker
in the target container file. As a general rule, you never create
cross-references directly from one text inset file to another.

For example, this means that if your text inset is used in both Doc1.fm
and Doc2.fm, and you want to create a cross-reference that points to the
Glossary at the end of each file, you will need two x-refs in your text
inset -- one that points to the Glossary x-ref marker in Doc1.fm, and
one that points to the Glossary x-ref marker in Doc2.fm.

Which leads to the application of conditional text tags. More than
likely you will not want both x-refs to appear in both places, so you
will need to create two condition tags and apply them appropriately in
your text inset. Then you must configure your container documents to
show the desired condition tag and hide the inappropriate one.

Successful management of cross-references rests on the consistent
application and tracking of these basic items. Problems creep in when
you accidentally set up a cross-reference to point to a marker that
appears to be correct, but actually resides in a different target
location, or through the misapplication of conditional text tags or
Hide/Show settings.

Obviously there are a lot of other considerations in implementing shared
content with text insets in unstructured FM. Please feel free to contact
me offline if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Regards,

Keith

Keith Arnett
Doc Team Lead - BPM