Automatically inserting "blank page" text

FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com
Mon Mar 17 19:07:25 PDT 2008

Thanks for the suggestion, Shlomo; I gave it a try.

For any table, I use an AnchorPara style for a tiny paragraph to hold the
table anchor. I put AnchorPara in the Reference Page mapping table and
told it to use the LeftRegular master page for the Left-Hand Master Page,
and gave it a Range Indicator of "Until Changed", and it seems to work.
Mind you, it started on a left-hand page.

However, I've been having an interesting experience with the Right pages.
If I don't specify anything for the Right-Hand Master Page, no master page
is applied to the Right pages. If I use the Body paragraph to indicate
which pages should use the Right master page, and I make it the first row
of the mapping table, then all the pages use the Right master page. If I
put that row after the Body paragraph that indicates using the LeftRegular
master page, then the Right master page doesn't work. There's probably a
rule that I can't use the same paragraph style to apply two different
master pages, even if they are Left and Right. Yes, I checked that the
Pagination is set to Double-sided.

Just out of curiosity, I set Heading1 paragraphs to apply the Right master
page, and they all used the Right master page until I had a Heading1 on a
left page. Then the LeftRegular master page stopped being applied. All of
these rows in the mapping table use a Range Indicator of "Single".

Also, the Right master page isn't applied to that long table I was playing
with. And I had to create a map for the chapter title paragraph to apply
the First master page.

Oh, I am successfully getting a "blank page" master page at the end of the
chapter. So, if someone can just tell me what I'm doing wrong with the
Right-Hand Master Page in the mapping table, I'll be all set.

Fei Min

p.s.
Stuart, the end-of-chapter indicator is a good idea, but we started this
whole "blank page" business because customers who were viewing the PDF
books were disturbed by the blank pages. The end-of-chapter indicator
might be too subtle for them, but it might be an alternative. Thanks for
the suggestion.

Rick, I thought you might have a solution, but my company hates spending
money. I'll present it as an option, though, because it might be cheaper
than fighting with the FDK. Thanks for offering to help.
Fei Min Lorente
Senior Technical Communicator
ON Semiconductor
Tel: +1.519.884.9696 ext.2297
Fax: +1.519.884.0228
Cell phone: +1.519.831.4931
Email address: FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com
Internet: http://www.amis.com

Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 at microtype.com>
03/17/2008 02:42 PM

FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com
cc
Framers at FrameUsers.com
Subject
Re: Automatically inserting "blank page" text

Fei Min,

You wrote:

 > I have some unstructured manuals and if there is a blank page at the
end
 > of a chapter (because we want all the chapters to begin on a right-hand
 > page), we put "This page left blank for printing purposes." Right now
I'm
 > manually deciding when the text should appear (meaning I have to look
for
 > a blank page and put the right paragraph on it). Is there any way of
 > automating this so that FrameMaker detects when the last page of a file
 > has no content (other than a header and footer) and either uses a
 > different master page or a particular paragraph type?
 >
 > I'm using FrameMaker 7.2 on Windows XP.

You may try using FrameMaker's Apply Master Pages function (7.0 or later)
for this purpose, as follows:
- create a new master page, named LeftRegular (or similarly), that will
control the layout of the standard Left pages
-- modify your standard Left master page so that it become the special
blank page ("intentionally left blank" or so)
-- in the mapping table controlling the assignment of master pages based
on
element names or paragraph tags, specify that "Body" paragraphs (and/or
any
other elements which is encountered on regular body pages) on left-hand
pages assign the LeftRegular master page

As you use the Apply Master Pages function (which may be document- or
book-wide), the reserved "Left" master page -- not applied by any other
paragraph -- will then be the "blank" page.

When switching to the Apply Master Pages approach to control application
of
custom master pages, all assignments should be controlled through the
mapping table (as manually assigned master pages are reset); test the
master page assignments you need in a complex document, including
multi-page tables (if this applies to your documents).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants