purely intellectual question

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 09:05:44 PDT 2008

Deirdre Reagan wrote (in part):
> I tried to change the chapter numbering by highlighting the the
> chapter in the book then chosing Format > Document > Numbering.
>
> It didn't work.
>
> It did work when I right clicked the chapter in the book and chose Numbering.
>
> Shouldn't chapter changes occur via both methods, using the menu vs
> right clicking?Or is this a feature of FM 8.0?

This is by design, and has been this way since at least FrameMaker 6.0,
when the book window's functionality was greatly expanded.

The numbering properties you set in an individual component file apply
when you are using the file by itself (i.e. outside the context of a book).
Those properties are also the defaults that appear in the book window,
but only until you do an update book operation.

The numbering properties you set in the book window are the ones
that apply to each component file in the context of that particular
book. They are managed and stored as properties of the book file
so that you can use any given component file in more than one
book, with all the proper numbering appearing for that book's
context regardless of whether the shared file appears as the first,
fifth, or fiftieth component in the book. This is fundamental to the
FrameMaker book paradigm, and is one of the reasons why
FrameMaker can be used so readily in a single-sourcing environment.

Fred Ridder