IX generation question restated

Tue Mar 18 09:47:34 PDT 2008

Harold Winberg restated the problem:

> We are trying to count work packages (chapters-files)(WP 0001
> etc) using a specific autonum assigned to the WP Number
> paragraph tag. This tag is at the beginning of each document.
> The problem that we are encountering is that any autonum
> occurrence that is previous to the TOC tag or IX marker is
> reflected in the respective generated files instead of the WP
> Number assignment. The autonum counters <n>, <n+> etc. work.
> That is not the issue. We want the WP Number assignment to
> carry into the TOC and IX as opposed to any autonum
> occurrence that happens to be previous to the TOC tag/IX marker

Well, today is my Monday, so I'm still not getting it -- especially the
"autonum occurrence that happens to be previous to the TOC tag/IX
marker" part. :-}

But it sounds like you're saying that each FM file in the book is a work
package, identified by a WP Number pgf, which has an autonumber that
should appear in the TOC and IX. Assuming you're using FM6 or newer, why
not use the Chapter Number variable (<$chapnum>) or, if that's being
used for something else, the Volume Number variable (<$volnum>) instead
of pre-FM6 autonum counters?

See the manual chapter (or help topics) on TOCs and Indexes for info on
editing the TOC and IX flows to include one of these variables in the
generated files. It's fairly straightforward. For instance, in the ref
page IX flow, there's an IndexIX pgf that contains the page number
variable (<$pagenum>). To index by work package instead of page, replace
that variable with <$chapnum> or <$volnum>, whichever you decide to use
for the work package numbering.

HTH!
Richard

------