question about modification date variable

Deirdre Reagan deirdre.reagan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 07:00:59 PDT 2008

Hello all!

I am staring at my FM 8.0 document and realize it's time yet again to
call on my good friends on teh intertubes.

I have a document of probably 30 pages with a Record of Revisions page.

The date on every single page is a cross reference to the original
date variable on the Record of Revisions page.  Does that sound right
to you?

I'm asking because I'm wondering how to deal with revisions.  How do I
modify the date on the pages that have been revised?  Put a
modification date variable on the Record of Revisions page then
manually erase the cross-reference on each affected page and insert a
cross-reference to the Record of Revision modification date variable?

That seems like a lot of manual labor, and adding the cross reference
will actually take more time than just cutting and pasting the revised
date.  And the automation of the cross-reference is irrelevant because
once the date's in place, it never changes except to get replaced by a
new revision date, which I have to do manually (see above).  Am I
missing something?

I've checked both Help in FM and the varible section in the Adobe FM
User Guide, but I haven't found the answer.

Also, is there a good tutorial anywhere that can teach me all of this
stuff?  Or is it a matter of experience?

Thanks,

Deirdre