Extracting copied-in graphics from documents

Dennis Brunnenmeyer dennisb at chronometrics.com
Fri May 2 21:04:46 PDT 2008

Jeremy...

You may very well be correct, especially with vector-based images.
The document I was working with only had JPEG images of rather
complex equipment. When I saved the document as HTML, the original,
uncropped high-resolution JPEGs were there for the taking.

Since the client did not have the originals, this seemed like manna
from heaven.

Dennis...
At 05:24 PM 5/2/2008, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:
>On Fri, 02 May 2008 13:45:07 -0700, Dennis Brunnenmeyer
><dennisb at chronometrics.com> wrote:
>
> >As far as I know, the previous suggestion of simply saving the Word
> >file as in HTML format is as simple and as *accurate* as you can get.
> >I can't imagine why one would need a third-party utility or a screen
> >shot application to do this, but then my imagination is limited to
> >personal experiences. Try it.
>
>LOL!  For many purposes, the save-as-HTML method may be adequate.
>But it *is* more-or-less lossy, compared to the internal WMF Word
>retains, depending on the original format of the image.
>
>For vector images imported into Word, the loss is major, as the
>vector elements (such as equations, for example) are converted
>to bitmaps (GIF or JPEG) as part of the save-as-HTML process.
>Text becomes fuzzy, thin lines break up, sharp edges lose some
>definition.
>
>For images that were originally bitmaps, the loss comes from the
>resampling Word does when creating the output bitmaps at screen
>resolution.  If the original was also at screen resolution, the
>resampling errors may have only minor consequences (text harder
>to read), but if it was at print resolution, the loss is worse
>(from 300dpi down to 96dpi), resulting in ugly printed images.
>
>All that can be avoided by extracting the internal WMF images
>(which can include both bitmap and vector components) from
>the Word RTF file directly.  That's what exwmf.exe does.  And
>since it is fully functional in the demo version of Mif2Go, at:
>   http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm
>it is *free*, with our blessings.  What's not to like?  ;-)
>
>-- Jeremy H. Griffith, at Omni Systems Inc.
>   <jeremy at omsys.com>  http://www.omsys.com/

Dennis Brunnenmeyer
Director of Engineering
CEDAR RIDGE SYSTEMS
15019 Rattlesnake Road
Grass Valley, CA 95945-8710
Office: (530) 477-9015
Fax:  (530) 477-9085
Mobile: (530) 320-9025
eMail:  dennisb /at/ chronometrics /dot/ com