Framemaker Uses

Pat Christenson pxenson at comcast.net
Wed May 7 14:17:53 PDT 2008

I can't speak for fiction or magazines but I do layout of technical
books for a couple of commercial publishers. They both have the
authors writing in Word using a very simple template. (The thinking
is: The books are written by subject matter experts who are not
necessarily technical writers. "Almost everyone" has Word; very few
have FrameMaker or other layout applications, nor would they be
willing to purchase anything as pricey as Frame. In any case, the
publishers prefer the writers not to focus on design.)

Once the content is final, it's turned over to a compositor (me or
someone like me) who then lays it out for press. In my experience,
more of these books are laid out in Quark or InDesign than in
FrameMaker.

FrameMaker is widely used by corporate pubs or tech pubs groups to
produce manuals such as you describe (Maintenance Manuals, Aircraft
Maintenance Manuals, Wiring Diagram Manuals, and Illustrated Parts
Catalogs).

Hope that helps -

Pat Christenson