Questions about look and feel.

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri May 9 08:39:39 PDT 2008

Mike Wickham wrote:
>> 2.  Do people think that a Sans Serif font improves legibility for body
>> text?
>
> Using a sans serif font for body text greatly reduces reader comprehension.
> Obtain a copy of Colin Wheildon's _Type and Layout: Are You Communicating or
> Just Making Pretty Shapes?_ The book contains actual studies showing the
> effects on readability and comprehension of serif vs. sans serif fonts,
> color type, bold and italic type, justified paragraphs, etc. It's a
> fantastic book:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Type-Layout-Communicating-Making-Pretty/dp/1875750223

After reading both the positive and (very) negative reviews on Amazon, I
put a hold on a copy from the library rather than rush to buy.  Sounds
like it could be either a well-researched factual treatment, or an
opinion piece supported by dubious methodology.  Also sounds like it is
geared to advertising rather than book-length text, and I very much
doubt that what's good for the former applies uniformly to the latter.

But I shall reserve judgement until I've actually read the thing!

Thanks for the reference, Mike,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"A man's screech should exceed his rasp, or what's a violin for?"

--another Rogers Original