Questions about look and feel

Dennis Brunnenmeyer dennisb at chronometrics.com
Mon May 12 17:54:45 PDT 2008

Well, I did make the correction to the typo, but it seems as though
this list server doesn't support features such as text strikeout,
colored or bold text. What a shame. At any rate, THIS TIME the
sentence reads correctly. I'll repeat it here for clarity;

The electron beam in a CRT cannot illuminate individual pixels on the
CRT face. It merely "brushes"
across them, through what is known as a shadow mask, with a
not-perfectly-defined beam size.

Comment:  Pixels as discussed in this manner, as you probably know,
are actually made of three adjacent picture elements, each generating
a different color: red, green and blue. This grouping of three
elements comprises a triad, one pixel. When I say that a CRT cannot
illuminate individual pixels, what I am saying is that with a CRT
display, the illumination of individual pixels is not a perfect
process. The dynamics of an analog interface/electron beam deflection
system/shadow mask/phosphor CRT can only closely approximate what the
video card wants it to display.

Enough of this off-topic stuff. The whole point I was trying to make
earlier is that the viewer's monitor type and display settings
affects the readability of text just as much (I think) as the choice
of fonts. We can only choose the latter. Any studies on screen
readability need to take this into account. I suspect that if the
display system is a good, high resolution display properly
configured, serif fonts would continue to be preferable. With lesser
quality displays, I suspect the opposite.

Amazon's Kindle apparently uses both serif and sans serif fonts.

Dennis...