Avoiding artefacts in Inkscape SVG --> FrameMaker, PDF

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Mon May 12 18:13:44 PDT 2008

I have been using FrameMaker with DITA-FMx to develop a book.  In
FrameMaker you can create composite graphics consisting of imported
pixmaps plus text frames, text lines (graphics text), rules, shapes,
etc.   These do not export to DITA XML so I have been creating composite
graphics in Inkscape.

Unfortunately, when imported into FrameMaker you often get strange
artefacts: rules that were never drawn in the first place, random
rectangles overlaying the objects, etc.   I tried exporting to PDF via
the Cairo engine but then my clipped pixmaps didn't (although, oddly,
they always imported perfectly into FM!).

The answer is to save as standard SVG in the Inkscape Save As dialogue,
ignoring all the dire warnings about losing Inkscape-specific aspects.
Be careful: this Save As turns into an "export from" because, when you
try to close the "saved" file, Inkscape informs you that it is not saved
and do you want to save it with Inkscape features.  This will overwrite
the file you just "exported" unknowingly.

Anyway, this seems to solve all the problems with artefacts.  I mention
it to the DITA and FrameMaker community in case this affects other
editors or tools.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>