MS Word Numbering (was RE: FrameMaker uses)

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Tue May 13 07:53:00 PDT 2008

I for one would appreciate understanding the 'proper' way to handle
numbering in Word.  For me, it would help to fix garbaged numbers in
document I receive to convert to SGML - numbering is an issue because if
it's wrong, the structure requires a lot of manual correction.

If you folks who actually can get it to work, reliably and consistently,
would not mind creating some sort of basic tutorial or simplified
procedure list re numbering in Word, I'm sure a great many folks on this
list would benefit.

<JHarvey at cambridgesoft.com> wrote:

| > > Hi Leah,
| > >
| > > The MSWord numbering feature is actually pretty good once you
learn how
| > > to use it. The hard part is just that, learning how to properly
use it
| > > because it is definitely not intuitive (read: stupidly designed).
| > > After years of using Word 2003, I finally discovered how to use it
and
| > > ended up autonumbering a 150-page document with headings six
levels
| > > deep (Heading 1.2.3.4.5.6.). It worked great.
| > >

| > > Jon Harvey
| > > Manager, Desktop Documentation
| > > CambridgeSoft Corporation
| > > 100 CambridgePark Drive
| > > Cambridge, MA 02140
| > > (617) 588-9354

MSWord,
| > > but the numbering always  got loused up.
| > >
| > > The numbering is actually complicated. The lessons generally
consist
| > > of 8 main steps and each step has sub-steps. I number them 1, a,
b, c,
| > > 2 ,a, b.... etc. This probably sounds simple - easy peasy, use
| > > autonumbering, but many times a step can be repeated (once on the
| > > left and once on the right). So, I used pgfs for the numbering the
| > > main steps and it is wonderful.
| > >
| > >Leah Smaller
| > >Technical Communicator
| > >Certified Feldenkrais Method practitioner
| > >leah at compulite.com
| > >
| > >"What you truly learn best will appear to you later as your own
| > >discovery." (Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais)

- Lester
Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
Yorklyn, DE  19736               Web: www.infocon.com