default "reply-to-all" (was Re: FrameMaker 8.0.3 Update Now Available (POSSIBLE WORKAROUND))

Dennis Brunnenmeyer dennisb at chronometrics.com
Fri May 16 11:59:17 PDT 2008

At least one major email list that I subscribe to uses LISTSERV email
list management software. In this scheme, one posts messages to a
LISTSERV-powered server which in turn redistributes the posting to
all of the subscribers, either as individual email messages or in
digest format, comprising from 2 to 10 messages, give or take a few.

The paradigm is different with LISTSERV than it is with FrameUsers,
at least the way it is applied to the other lists to which I
subscribe. The sender is a server (a machine) and not one of the list
members (an individual.)

As "Z" correctly points out, your email client is responsible for
applying the Reply and Reply to All functions, not the list server or
the person that sent the email in the first place. One only need look
at who the email message is from to understand what your Reply and
Reply to All buttons will do. Is it from a List Server or an individual?

With LISTSERV the way I've seen it used, a Reply sends a reply to the
entire list. Mind you, I've seen numerous message intended for
personal consumption posted this way. Both paradigms have common
drawbacks if misused. If you wish a different paradigm, such as that
offered by LISTSERV, you can learn more about it here:

http://lists.psu.edu/

By the way, Penn State University (USA) apparently hosts numerous
public-use lists like the one I subscribe to for folk music DJs and
artists. I'm not certain, but someone may need to be a student or
employee at PSU to initiate and use their services to support a
LISTSERV email list.

I should probably also point out that LISTSERV list management
software is now a product of L-Soft. You can learn a lot more about
LISTSERV email list management software
here;  http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv-powered.asp

I have no financial or personal ties to either PSU or L-Soft. These
comments are mere observations.

Dennis...
At 09:44 AM 5/16/2008, Art Campbell wrote:
>I believe this is the default Mailman set up, usually used to reduce
>the risk of the email loops that Jeremy already mentioned.
>
>Art
>
>On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Fred Ridder <docudoc at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Paul Findon wrote (in part):
> >
> >> Hedley is not asking for a "reply-to-all." What he, I and, no doubt,
> >> others want is "reply-to-list." In other words, when you click your
> >> Reply button, by default, messages are addressed to the list.
> >>
> >> I've been using lists since 1993 and running several since 1996, and
> >> Framers is the only list I've ever come across that works this way.
> >> Replying to list messages should be simple - click Reply and the
> >> addressing is done. The current setup is cumbersome and has tripped
> >> many of us up. If someone wants to reply privately, they will
> >> naturally be more careful and double-check the To address.
> >
> > FWIW, I currently subscribe to 7 or 8 mailing lists (a couple of them
> > basically inactive), and all of them work the same way as Framers.
> > Reply goes just to the poster; Reply All goes to the list and the
> > poster and anyone cc'ed by the poster. It would drive me a little
> > crazy(er) if Framers behaved differently than the other lists.
> > Make every e-mail and IM count. Join the i'm Initiative from Microsoft.
> > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_ MakeCount
> >

>--
>Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
>  "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent
>and a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
>  No disclaimers apply.
>  DoD 358
>or visit
>http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/dennisb%40chronometrics.com
>
>Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com. Visit
>http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

Dennis Brunnenmeyer
Director of Engineering
CEDAR RIDGE SYSTEMS
15019 Rattlesnake Road
Grass Valley, CA 95945-8710
Office: (530) 477-9015
Fax:  (530) 477-9085
Mobile: (530) 320-9025
eMail:  dennisb /at/ chronometrics /dot/ com