Framemaker uses

mbradley at techpubs.com mbradley at techpubs.com
Fri May 16 16:25:35 PDT 2008

> However, in Word, you can stabilize the numbering system.  Go to
> Tools>Protect Document and click the box Limit formatting to a
> selection of styles.  Click the Settings link and from there, you can
> choose which styles the document's users can employ and which they
> cannot.

I just did a couple of quick tests in a Word doc with four Numbered format threads in the dreaded Eight Panes of Pain, otherwise known as the Bullets and Numbering window. I was able to start new numbered lists in any of the threads. That's the core of the problem with numbered lists--you can't be sure that all numbered lists are in the same thread. Locking the styles doesn't seem to fix it. Have I missed something?

= Mike Bradley
  www.techpubs.com