Haven't we learnt anything about usability?

Dennis Brunnenmeyer dennisb at chronometrics.com
Mon May 19 14:03:08 PDT 2008

Just so everyone on this list has an idea of what
one alternative method of posting to a list looks
like, I've included the principle headers from
another list to which I subscribe. Mind you, my
subscription is set up to receive "digests"
several times daily rather than individual
postings as they are sent to the list server. A
digest contains a collection of postings,
concatenated down the page. A typical digest will
contain from 2 to 12 postings, each basically an
email message sent by the posting member. I do
not recommend using digests; I just include the
header information to show what the Reply-To: and From: lines look like.

One possibly major disadvantage of this method of
posting is the latency involved. That is, a
posting may not appear for several hours, whereas
direct email may be quicker—perhaps near
instantaneous. I don't recall how quickly
individual postings appeared prior to when I
changed over to a digest format. Timeliness may
be a good reason for leaving things the way they are.

The FOLKDJ-L subscriber list comprises folk music
artists, radio DJs that play folk music,
publicity agents, record label staffers and so
on. It is used to share radio program playlists
and occasionally to make announcements of one kind or another.

This list is a LISTSERV list. I suppose MAILMAN could do something similar: