Conditional Text Just Won't Go Away

Jona Steenbrink jsteenbrink at bluefinrobotics.com
Tue May 20 15:19:36 PDT 2008

Disclaimer: I apologize if this message appears on the list twice. The
first time I sent it, I did not use the email address that is
registered with framers.

Hi.

FM 	8.0p273
Windows XP (running on parallels on a Mac)

I am fast approaching the end of my tether working with conditional
text.

FM won't let me make some segments of text unconditional. In fact,
when I try to remove the conditional tag, the text turns bright green
with a strikethrough effect. What's more... when I try again, it's now
bright red with a strikethrough effect. And, (hullo, what's this?) now
it's bright red with a strikethrough effect and a change bar.

All three conditions in the document are set to Style: As Is, and
three different colors (green, olive, and magenta).

I cannot make this text unconditional.  Selecting (or deselecting)
Special > Conditional Text > Show Conditional Text at the document
level or the book level affects all of the conditionally tagged
paragraphs except for these red, struck through, paragraphs.

What's going on? Is it FM telling me that I'm doing something very
wrong? I've looked at the FM documentation, and it's giving me
nothing. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening here?

Update: I also cannot copy and paste any of the affected text. If I
select it, ctrl+c and then ctrl+v somewhere else, it won't paste.
Although I can Edit > Undo Paste. Go figure. Is it possible that these
segments of text have, through some action or combination of actions,
become hopelessly corrupted? Is that even possible?

Thanks,

Jona Steenbrink