roundtrip documentation and help (Framemaker/Robohelp - chicken or egg?

Jim Owens jowens at magma.ca
Wed May 21 08:57:33 PDT 2008

Based on a recent evaluation of TCS, my understanding is that the HTML
cannot be round-tripped. What's more, certain things you might want in
your HTML cannot be marked up in Frame. For example, if you want to use
drop-down hotspots, there's no way to mark them up in FrameMaker; you
have to modify the HTML topics that were generated from the Frame
source. These modifications cannot be brought back to Frame. If you
update your Frame source and regenerate the topics, you have to add the
drop-down hotspots to the topics all over again.

In fact, as far as I know, any modifications you make to the HTML topics
are not round-tripped back to your FM files. Basically what you are
getting in the TCS is a good HTML Help editor that can import FrameMaker
documents with support for cross-reference, index, and context
sensitivity markers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.