Marketing a product: which language for the documentation

Michael O'Neill moneill at meta-comm.com
Wed May 21 09:00:17 PDT 2008

Here's my 2 cents:

1) Are their rules, laws, or regulations governing this in each country it will be sold in (note: type of product might have an impact here)

For example, in the USA there _may_ be FDA regulations about documentation localization for medical devices...FCC regulations about broadcast equipment documentation and telecommunications product documentation, etc...

2) The marketing decision for the product

I'm sure at one time or another, most of us English speakers have had the experience of assembling furniture/children's toys/gadgets/etc... where the instructions are not in English. This definitely contributes to the user impression of the product with regards to quality.  It also might have a relationship to extra costs for support, returns, malfunctions, etc... for the company selling the product. In many companies, Marketing depts. weigh these variables and decide.