Marketing a product: which language for the documentation

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed May 21 09:38:52 PDT 2008

mathieu jacquet wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> here is a question from a client: he's just developed a new GPS-based
> product in France, has a "getting started" and "user manual" written
> (I'm currently working on it) in French and would like to know if he
> is supposed to have them translated...
>
> I answered "yes, you have to have them translated into the languages
> of countries where you want the product marketted". But I am not 100%
> sure of the answer.
>
> The other question is: does the client have to have both manuals
> translated?
>
> Do you have any idea of official (governmental) documents about this
> kind of issue (Europe and/or US)?

Mathieu,

A GPS receiver would probably fall under the Radio Equipment &
Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (R&TTE) category of CE-marking
regulations:
A "radio equipment" means a product, or relevant component thereof,
capable of communication by means of the emission and/or reception of
radio waves utilising the spectrum allocated to terrestrial/space
radiocommunication.

If that's correct, then to sell the unit in the EU, your client must
conform to a LOT of regulations, which include translating the
documentation into local languages.  The client may want to engage a
consultant to ensure compliance with CE marking.

You can find more information by searching "CE marking" or slogging
through http://eur-lex.europa.eu/en/index.htm

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"A man's screech should exceed his rasp, or what's a violin for?"

--another Rogers Original