Converting to Word

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 11:16:14 PDT 2008

Frank,

What version of FM are you using, and how "small" is this set of documents?

It is well known that all of the FM to RTF filters in FM up to version 7.2
do not work very well, especially on large files.  I have successfully
converted small files (2-5 pages) but even those needed cleanup.

HOWEVER.... Adobe hase considerably improved the FM > Word filter in FM8.
It's not perfect but it does work pretty well.  Adobe has also included a
new Word > FM filter that works really well.  I use it all the time because
we get a lot of our source information froim the engineers in Word.  This
new filter, called Microsoft Word 2007, cleanly converts text, tables, and
even graphics from Word to FM.  I have run it on 80 page Word docs with lots
of tables and graphics.  The conversion takes about 3 minutes.

Diane

PS - I cannot believe that Boeing won't spend all of $300 for Mif2Go
(www.omsys.com). It would cost them less for that than it would for your
time to do the job by hand.