Optimize preview of EPS files?

Jacob Schäffer js at grafikhuset.dk
Thu May 29 01:50:53 PDT 2008

Creating previews with Ghostscript (which internally seem to use the EPSWrite device) will -- if I'm not mistaken -- convert a lot of graphic elements and text to bitmaps, and all colors will turn into plain RGB. Hence, the resulting EPS document may not be device independent anymore.

I haven't tried this myself with the latest GS versions, but until a few years back I've only seen poor results.

An ideal tool for adding EPS previews is a tool that doesn't make any conversion of the content stream, but ONLY interpret that stream and add the result hereof as a preview header. I'm not sure that is possible with Ghostscript or GSView.

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Jacob Schäffer  |  Chief Developer
Grafikhuset
Paradis Allé 22, Ramløse