Basic question- Visio to Frame

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 12:11:52 PDT 2008

Commenting on how to import figures from Visio, Milan Davidovic wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Art Campbell <art.campbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If I were you, I'd print to a PDF from Visio or SaveAs a graphic
> > format from Visio and import the resulting file as a referenced file.
>
> When I had to do this (a couple of years ago), I was advised to save
> the Visio diagram as a .wmf file, and then import that.

The problem with WMF is that the format only embeds the *name* of the
font(s) used for any text objects in the figure and not the font itself.
This is OK if you are the only one ever working on the files, but it has the
potential to be a real PITA if you use non-ubiquitous fonts and need to
hand the files off to someone else for any purpose.

Printing the Visio figure to PDF and inserting the PDF by reference is the method I've used with great success for several years. Originally I used
that method because the EPS export filter in Visio was chronically broken
(before Microsoft dropped it from the product altogether...), but I wound
up adopting PDF as my metafile format of choice for all graphics since
it has all the same benefits as EPS for printed (or PDF) output and also
has superb appearance on-screen as opposed to the low-res raster
preview image you get with EPS.

-FR