Basic question- Visio to Frame

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Fri May 30 03:03:58 PDT 2008

The OLE linking of Visio files has worked well for me.
I have tried PDF-ing the Visio and EPS-ing that in Acrobat. It
sometimes works and sometimes crashes FM, like a couple of days since.
I then saved the Visio as AutoCad and opened that in Illustrator, made
some changes and EPS-ed that. No crash now on this graphic.

The downside of the OLE linking is that FM will pause paging when it
hits the link and while loading the graphic, which can be a bit
annoying.

Bodvar

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Combs, Richard
<richard.combs at polycom.com> wrote:
> Art Campbell wrote:
>
>> The accepted way to do this was to import Visio files as OLE objects,
>> however OLE didn't always work reliably, especially if you were doing
>> several files. Just lately, after installing XP SP3, even that limited
>> method quit working for me and several others who have reported
>> problems.
>>
>> If I were you, I'd print to a PDF from Visio or SaveAs a graphic
>> format from Visio and import the resulting file as a referenced file.
>
> I think if you check the archives, you'll find as much or more criticism
> of using OLE as acceptance.
>
> As for saving Visio drawings in a graphic format, the problem in the
> past has been that most of Visio's export filters (including WMF and
> EPS) weren't very good (I don't know if that's changed in Visio 2007).
> Also, many people unwisely save those nice scalable vector graphics in a
> raster (bitmap) format like PNG.
>
> I've been using a Visio > PDF > FM process for some time and strongly
> recommend it. If you have a recent full version of Acrobat (6-8, I
> believe) and it was installed after Visio (2000-2007, I believe), you'll
> have PDFMaker available in Visio, just like in Word, and making PDFs is
> a one-click procedure. Multi-page Visio files turn into multi-page PDFs.
>

> In FM, import the PDF by reference (select the page you want, if
> necessary). When you edit the Visio file, just click the PDF button, and
> let the path/name default to the one you used the last time you did
> this. The next time you open the FM doc, you'll see the new version.
>
> HTH!
> Richard
>

> Richard G. Combs
> Senior Technical Writer
> Polycom, Inc.
> richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
> 303-223-5111
> ------
> rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
> 303-777-0436
> ------

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
 -- Edsel Murphy, dec.