Basic question- Visio to Frame

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 05:07:15 PDT 2008

We deliver mostly PDFs, and the majority of our customers work from printed (via laser printer, not press) PDFs, not the electronic file. We only use Visio for flowcharts and schematic diagrams -- just the simple line stuff.  Almost all of our technical drawings are sourced in CorelDRAW 12, and somehow the way FM
handles the imported hi-res TIF, the resized graphics in FM don't seem to lose
anything detectable. We originally tried to use EPS, but we had so many problems trying to get the EPS exported from Visio or from DRAW that our team began using TIF, because it seemed to be the only export filter that was working rather reliably and importing rather reliably no matter where we sourced (in DRAW, Visio, AI, CPT, FullShot, SnagIt, etc.) or used the graphic (typically in FM, but often output via WWP or PDF, and sometimes sourced in Word or DRAW).

But, we aren't sending the books to a professional press operation. This may be why we can "get away with" doing it this way. I'll definitely recheck some of the Visio drawings in the end-user PDF, though.

We use several graphics management plugins to handle bulk resize, shrinkwrap, or scale operations, so it gets problematic if we have a ton of white space around a graphic. One thing we like about TIF over PDF is that we don't have a lot of white space to hide with the anchored frame, so the shrinkwrap or scale bulk operations don't hose up the pagination.

Of course, I solicit "best practice" information from all parties on this list, so please don't hesitate to tell me where we're screwing up.  ;-)

Rene L. Stephenson