Fonts won't install

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Wed Nov 12 22:27:10 PST 2008

> I moved to a new PC recently  and now find that I can't install any
type 1
> or opentype fonts. I get a message that "the font file may be
damaged". The
> files were copied from my old PC so I know they are fine. Windows XP
SP3 (no
> choice as that's what Dell provided). Any ideas? Please copy direct to
me as
> I am on digest.

Just a thought: they may indeed be damaged - depending on how you did
the copy of the files from the old PC.

I'd suggest taking the font files from the new PC *back* to the old PC
and compare bit-for-bit (maybe in a DOS window using "fc") to the files
that are, I hope, still there.

If this passes, then you know that it is not the source of the problem.
If it does not, then the font files may indeed have been corrupted
during the copy.