FM8 on Win XP Next Pgf Tag not working

Roy Lewis roy_g_lewis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 07:04:44 PST 2008

I am evaluating Framemaker 8 as a replacement for Framemaker 6. I am using Framemaker 8.0p273 on Windows XP Pro SP3.

The Next Paragraph Tag attribute for a paragraph does not seem to be working unless there is some text in the paragraph.
Our template uses paragraphs with no text to insert graphics in the side head area. The next paragraph tag should insert a paragraph with auto number text when the user presses Enter.

This worked fine in Framemaker 6, but in Framemaker 8 the next paragraph is identical to the previous paragraph. It is as though the cursor is setting at the beginning of the empty paragraph instead of at the end.

I have tested the behavior with a new document and a Frame 6 document that was upgraded and both yield the same undesirable results. I have been unable to find any information on this at the Adobe site or in the archives.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this?

Roy Lewis