Spot color generating process plates

D L Reynolds reynolds at semicool.com
Sat Nov 15 16:58:55 PST 2008

First, many thanks to those who suggested fixes for the FrameMaker ->
PDF color shift problem I wrote about last week. I sincerely
appreciate your expertise and generosity.

I'm now experiencing a different problem (in a different project),
but one that seems in some way related.

This is a two-color job: black and PMS032. When I create a PDF and
check the separations, the spot color coming from linked
illustrations (Illustrator eps) is handled correctly. But the PMS032
applied directly within FrameMaker is throwing process plates
(Magenta and Yellow).

The similarity between this and my last difficulty is that in both
cases, color applied from within FrameMaker is mishandled; color
specified in other applications (Illustrator) works fine. So...

Do any of you know how to prevent these process plates from being
generated? Or do you know a way to merge them onto the spot plate? I
haven't found a way to do it with Ink Manager. (This job will be
printed from press-ready PDFs.)

The job uses FrameMaker  7.1 on Windows XP Pro.

For what it's worth, this has probably been happening for ages. But
in the past, this client has used a fabulous printer (I'm happy to
supply the printer's name off-line) and I'll bet he quietly fixed
things on his end. But the client is now hoping to save money by
using another printer, and this firm said they couldn't work with the
files and bounced them back to us.

Any advice is deeply appreciated, as always.

    --Donna Reynolds