Table footnote numbering

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Nov 26 14:30:45 PST 2008

Thanks Richard,

Combs, Richard wrote:
>> How I can start footnote numbering for a single table for any other
> value
>> than
>> 1/a?
>
> For one table, but not others? I don't think you can do that with real
> footnotes.

Hmm what I thought :(

> You can specify custom numbering -- go to Format > Document > Numbering
>> Table Footnote and set Format to Custom. In the Custom Numbering
> dialog, enter the sequence of letters/numbers/symbols you want to use
> (in order of use).

This I know :)

> You can probably fake it using superscripted hypertext links to pgfs in
> a borderless straddled cell at the bottom of the table. But it would be
> a manual and fussy task.
>
> I'd rethink the idea if I were you -- but then, I'm particularly averse
> to manual and fussy. ;-)

Me too ;)

It's just that I have two tables on one page (both tables span pages, the
first starts on the previous page and the second finishes on the succeeding
page). Both tables have footnotes and so both have the same sequence of
letters. This may be a source of confusion for some readers because the letter
"a" for the first footnote in the first table is on the previous page and the
footnote is on the current page, but the first footnote in the second table
appears on the succeeding page but its letter "a" is on the current page.

Therefore you have a table footnote on the current page and a letter "a" too,
but they relate to different footnotes and tables. I know the footnote appears
*above* the letter "a", but one can never under-estimate the lack of
comprehension of some readers.

So I wanted to start the second table where the first table's footnote
numbering left off. Sheesh that's hard to describe clearly.

So far this is the only instance, but the book will be over 1000 pages before
it is done and there are tables on 75% of them.

Looks like I'm going to have to live with it, again.

Alan