Cross references between books

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:54:35 PDT 2008

The only time I actually had to deal with tis was at my last empoyer, where we used Documentum and the now-discontinued FrameLink interface.  No matter what the apparent hierarchy of the files within the Documentum repository, when you checked them out they were all placed in one working directory.  (The repository folders were just metadata attributes of the file objects, and could be changed at will without changing anything inside the files themselves.)  I may have to face the issue of inter-book x-refs on the project I'm just starting on, and I must say I'm not looking forward to it.

-Fred Ridder

Subject: RE: Cross references between booksDate: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:49:46 -0700From: c.bertsche at tecplot.comTo: docudoc at hotmail.com; art.campbell at gmail.comCC: framers at lists.frameusers.com

Thanks, Fred.

I do want to nest my PDF's by one level, although not by the two levels they are currently nested in my doc tree. I like your idea of putting them in a common "build" folder, but since this changes my level hierarchy, I will have to go through and fix every cross reference between the books when I put them in this folder. I think I can save the .fm file as a .mif, wash one level of the relative path, and resave it as the .fm file, but I feel like that's not going to be a fun process if I want fully operational PDFs very often.

How do others address this...is it better to put all your books in one folder to begin with?

From: Fred Ridder [mailto:docudoc at hotmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 2:16 PMTo: Callie Bertsche; Art CampbellCc: framers at lists.frameusers.comSubject: RE: Cross references between books
Callie Bertsche responded to Art and Rick:> Thanks to both of you! A v. logical solution. Hmm, my files are so> nested, sub-optimal for inclusion...I wonder if I can change this with> an add-on like Timesavers... As long as you are generating a single PDF for each book (rather thanseparate files for each chapter), you only have to ensure that the book files are in the same directory (with all the chapter files in thecorrect locations relative to their respective book files, of course).When you're making a single PDF from each book, FrameMaker andAcrobat only resolve the relative file locations at the book level. Itdoesn't matter haw the component files are organized below the book. Inter-book links can get pretty messy. One approach that works wellis to make a duplicate of each book and all its components in a special"build" directory for the sole purpose of making the PDFs. Once the PDFs have been checked, you can scrap the duplicate copies. And Bruce Foster's Archive tool makes it relatively painless to collect upand make duplicates of all the files that comprise each book. -Fred Ridder