VIETNAM INDEX

Michael Zaichenko biozaichenko at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 06:37:46 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm having "fun" generating index for a Vietnamese manual and I could use some help. Actually... HELP!!!
For those who is not familiar with vietnamese - the alphabet contains 18 letters A with all manner of accents, 12 letters E and about same for O and U - so obviously we can't talk about normal <$alphabetics> on the reference page. I set up reference page with the whole sequence of letters as they would need to appear by alphabet and Frame does generate index in a correct sequence. Ref. page looks something like that: AaĀāĂ㥹 Bb Cc Dd ĒēĔĕĖė Ff Gg... etc.
Now, the problem is that for some reason FrameMaker thinks that some letters are identical to each other and sorts them as if they were the same so you would end up with

tổn thương:sự kiệt sức và
tổn thương:sự tái kích thích của

sorted as:

tổn thương, 15
          sự kiệt sức và, 90, 54

the way I noticed something was wrong was that the page numbers appear out of sequence. Checked and saw that two totally different entries sorted as one.

Has anyone run into doing this kind of stuff?

Can someone help?

Michael