Missing font error messages when Saving as PDF

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Oct 10 12:28:25 PDT 2008

Jeff Schweiner wrote:
> When I use the File -> Save as PDF option, I may or may not get font
> substitution messages in the Frame Console, depending on what printer I
> have selected.  I understand (I think) that FM uses your default printer
> fonts, rather than your system fonts.  But I don't understand the
> following scenario.  I've noticed it on my working files, and it is
> duplicated on  a new file.
>

> I open a new portrait document and type anything (just the letter "A").
> I have a network printer (call it NP) selected as my default.  I do a
> File -> Save as PDF and I get the following message.  This occurs on
> all 3 of the different models of network printers I tried.
>

> The "Times" Font is not available.
>
>   "Times New Roman" will be used in this session.
>

> I change my printer to Adobe PDF, do the File -> Save as PDF, and I
> don't get the error message.
>

> This would imply to me that:
>
> - The file uses the Times font
>
> - Adobe PDF includes the Times font, but NP does not.
>

> I tried finding the Times font in the file using the following methods
> and can't find any occurrences.
>
> - Using Find, searching for Charter Format : Times (everything else "as
> is").  I searched the Body, Master, and Reference pages.
>
> -  I converted the file to MIF and searched the MIF for any occurrences
> of the Times font.
>

> Couple other notes:
>
> - I don't get any font substitution messages when opening the file,
> regardless of the selected printer.
>
> - My preferences are set to "Remember missing fonts."
>
> - Using FM 8.0p277 and XP Pro with SP2.
>

> So my question is, what is causes the Times font message?  Does the file
> actually contain something that uses the Times font?  If so, how do I
> find it?  Is there some interaction with the selected printer fonts and
> using the Save as PDF that I don't understand?  Is there a PDF setting
> that I can apply to get rid of this message?
>

> Thanks, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff,

The Times font is probably hiding on a reference or master page or in a
table definition.

My best advice is to get the free SetPrint plug-in from Sundorne so that
Frame always uses the Adobe PDF printer instance (while leaving your
default hardware printer as-is in other app's).  Then always print to
PDF, then print that output to hardware.

http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap
between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were
instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish
squirting out ink."

— George Orwell