FrameMaker and SharePoint

O'Laoghaire Micheal Micheal.OLaoghaire at comverse.com
Wed Oct 15 07:43:04 PDT 2008

I think many Content Management systems have problems in 'diffing'
binary files, so they don't try - they just save complete copies with
each 'change'. We previously used Documentum/FrameLink and that was how
that system operated also.

We have recently installed SharePoint in our company and I have just
started playing around with it. I checked in a whole (unstructured)
book, along with a graphics sub-folder.
If I check out the book only, the version increments. I can then edit
the book by clicking on it in Sharepoint. I can then open the chapters
etc normally - just as if they were on a conventional file server. Cross
references and referenced graphics work normally.
If I change a chapter file, SharePoint recognizes that and checks the
chapter file out. However, it does not increment the chapter version
then or when I check it back in. Effectively the checkout/checkin
operation just becomes a flag and the system behaves like a 'dumb' file
server.

If you want the chapters to version, then you have to check them out
first,

Regards,
Micheal O'Laoghaire
BSS Line of Product Documentation