Odd keyboard behavior

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu Oct 16 01:47:43 PDT 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:37:02 -0700, "Jeremy H. Griffith"
<jeremy at omsys.com> wrote:

>If you
>want to send me a Frame file with an example of some you put in
>that way, I'll see if there's a difference viewing it here.

Dr. Winifred Reng sent me one, and provided the clue that nailed
the problem; thank you!

It *is* a Frame 8 bug... but it's fixable in maker.ini.  ;-)

You will find a section there (in the main maker.ini, in
the directory with framemaker.exe) that has these lines:

; Smart Quote Characters
; SmartQuotes \xd4\xd5\xd2\xd3 )  English curved quotes
; SmartQuotes \xe2\xd4\xe3\xd2 )  German-style quotes with base quotes
; SmartQuotes \xd5\xd5\xc7\xc8 )  French-style quotes using guillemets
; SmartQuotes \xd5\xd5\xd3\xd3 )  Swedish- and Finnish-style quotes
; SmartQuotes \xd4\xd5\xd2\xd3 )  Italian curved quotes
;
; English curved quotes:
SmartQuotes=‘’“”

Note that the first set is commented out, and the last line is the
one in effect.  And that's the bug.  The characters there are the
old ANSI ones, so those are what FM8 uses, with the bad results
described before.

So, when *European* users are setting up, they change to the
line needed for their country, German in Dr. Reng's case.  And
those *work*.  (Dr. Reng also changed \xe2 to \x2c to correct
for a font problem in Univers, a missing baseline single quote.)

For those of us using English, then, the fix is:

; English curved quotes:
; SmartQuotes=‘’“”  Get rid of this mistake!!
; These are the right ones (note added equal sign):
SmartQuotes=\xd4\xd5\xd2\xd3

That tells Frame to use its *internally-coded* characters,
and those it knows how to map to the real Unicode characters,
because in the MIF we get UTF-8 that is correct for those.

Thank you, Winfried!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen