MadCap Flare

Jared Crawford jarednc at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 12:41:27 PDT 2008

Callie,

As a FrameMaker user, I evaluated Flare, FrameMaker +ePublisher, and Adobe's Technical Communicator Suite last April. Each approach has its limitations, advantages, and frustrations.

Flare is the most forward-looking product, but there is a learning curve and no real point in authoring in FrameMaker if you choose that solution. Flare is great for help systems, but has some challenges regarding PDF creation that are being addressed.

If your authors are bent on using FrameMaker, that would be a deal breaker for Flare. If you must author in FrameMaker, your choices should be ePublisher or Technical Communicator Suite. If purchasing new software, I'd go with the Suite because it's a great value if you're interested in all its tools.

If you already own ePublisher and FrameMaker, I recommend pressing on and solving your problems with it. It will pay off. The other applications are equally annoying in what you have to do to make them work and look good.

Mif2Go is useful if you want to occassionally filter to other formats, but as a production tool, I've never had much success with it. I found it to be more of a time suck than the other applications. I know that some people love it, so it's just my opinion.

All these applications have free trials that are worth spending a couple of days playing with.

I hope that helps.

--Jared