Madcap and FrameMaker?

quills at airmail.net quills at airmail.net
Thu Oct 30 06:34:08 PDT 2008

They are two entirely different animals. The marketing hoopla from
MadCap would have you believe that Flare is a direct competitor to
FrameMaker. This is not true.

MadCap products are transformational tools, primarily. Their entire
cause for being was centered around transforming formatted text
intended for print, into online help files, generally through
transformation into XHTML files. What is telling is that the primary
authoring tools they cite for documentation are Word and FrameMaker.
I've used Flare, and I find it very difficult to manipulate.

Whether that's because I'm very comfortable using a fully functional
and validating text editor for making XHTML or because I feel it's
easier to hand code XHTML instead of using MadCap's GUI, is up for
interpretation. I do know that what took me 20 minutes to change (a
bullet list) in MadCap only took me 30 seconds using Oxygen text
editor.

Scott