OT: matching dual LCD monitors

Dave Reynolds dave.reynolds at tait.co.nz
Thu Sep 4 18:51:21 PDT 2008

Hi

Not exactly Frame related, but I'm after some advice about LCD
monitors.  After being the only tech writer in our team with a single
monitor, I finally got given another monitor a couple of weeks ago.
Hurray!!  It's been a long wait.  So now I have matching Viewsonic VA912
19" monitors.  The second one is not new, but reassigned to me from
someone else.  Judging from the numbers, it is about the same age as my
first monitor.

Apparently my PC has an on-board video card, so they connected the
second monitor via an adaptor card (budget constraints!).  This meant I
had the first monitor on an analog feed, and the second monitor on a
digital feed.

The display on the second monitor is quite different from the first
monitor in terms of colour, brightness and contrast.  I have tried to
adjust the second monitor to match the display of the first monitor, but
I've been unsuccessful.  I've tried the adjustments on the monitor and
in the driver, but the display on the second monitor is still inferior
to that on the first monitor.  After complaining to our IST people, they
fitted a new video card that they happened to have in stock (still
budget constraints), but I notice that the first monitor is still on
analog, and the second is still on digital, and I still can't get the
displays to match.

For many applications this is only a nuisance.  However, for editing
photographs it is a major problem.  I take quite a few photos for my
manuals and it is important that the edited versions of the photos I
take are consistent for colour, brightness and contrast.  This means
that I cannot currently use the second monitor for editing photos, as
the same photo looks so different on each monitor.

Is there a way to get the second monitor to match the first one, or am I
fighting a losing battle trying to get the digital input display to
match the analog input display?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

--

Dave Reynolds                         Phone: (64) (3) 358 1029
Senior Technical Author               Fax: (64) (3) 359 4632
Tait Electronics Ltd                  Email: dave.reynolds at tait.co.nz
PO Box 1645
Christchurch
New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.