Best Indexing Tool for FrameMaker?

Fred Wersan fwersan at mak.com
Fri Sep 5 05:08:46 PDT 2008

I have Indexing Tools Pro. I use the Merge Index feature, which is
pretty nifty. ITP also helps make creation of Master Indexes easier.
However, its main feature - embedding index marker text in the main
flow, so you can see index text in a reasonable font size and do search
and replace on index text (the main failings of the FrameMaker indexing,
IMO) didn't work well for me. I don't know if it is because I use
structured frame or what, but it just wasn't working right. But the
basic idea was a good one. So I changed my EDD to add an inline
indexEntry element and wrote some FrameScript scripts to support it. Now
I have inline indexing, but in a way more to my liking.

If anyone who is using structured Frame and Framescript is interested,
I'd be happy to send the scripts to you with a brief explanation of how
they work. Then you're on your own.

Fred
--
Fred Wersan