InDesign as a replacement for Framemaker

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Sun Sep 14 09:15:45 PDT 2008

Hi, Robert:

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Robert Rogge <robertwrogge at gmail.com> wrote:
> A drop in the pond on this runaway thread -
>
> For the documents I produce, there is no way that InDesign could handle the
> work of Frame. That would be a real nightmare. In other words, they
> *cannot*do each other´s jobs.
>
> I tend to be a meticulous user of Frame, and all of those features missing
> from ID are key components to my workflow, and were they lost, I seriously
> doubt that my documents could be managed effectively. Further, it goes
> beyond these basics and when you start getting into the details, you find
> similar problems.
>
> Variables, equations, and conditional text are *really, really
> powerful*tools if you just develop the right work habits.

Are there any other features and tools that you rely on in FM, that
are missing in ID? Have you posted ID feature requests to the official
request site: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

You never know when or if your wishes will come true.

> At first it
> might seem a
> pain in the ass, but once you get into the flow (and with some planning),
> you start saving time incrementally.

I agree that investing in the effort to learn things you need has its
share of pain that's usually repaid by being to work efficiently and
accurately.

However, from your statement, it's a little ambiguous which pain
you're referring to. Are you saying that the investment in pain is in
planning and the learning curve in FM? Or is the pain in investing the
effort in ID?

Regards,

Peter